8.14.2010

10 YA CONTEMPORARY BOOKS YOU SHOULD READ

Here's a list. Some of these books have been reviewed, some haven't been yet. I tried to keep it brief and sum up why I love these books in a sentence--just know that if you pick a single book off this list to read, you can't go wrong.

Links are to Goodreads and/or to my past reviews.

JELLICOE ROAD by Melina Marchetta:

Beautifully written, infinitely layered--this book builds momentum so that the ending has the story coming together in a truly breathtaking way.

Goodreads



PAPER TOWNS by John Green

This is John Green at his absolute best--and there are bursts of mystery, yearning, hilarity and quirkiness mixed in.

Goodreads



THE ABSOLUTELY TRUE DIARY OF A PART TIME INDIAN by Sherman Alexie

This is the sort of book that will make you laugh and cry at the same time--and features one of the most endearing main characters I've ever come across.

My Review/ Goodreads



WINTERGIRLS by Laurie Halse Anderson

One of the most lyrical YA books I've ever read--a haunting depiction of anorexia by the acclaimed author of Speak.

Goodreads


I AM THE MESSENGER by Markus Zusak

The coming-of-age themes in this book are particularly strong--as is the arresting writing and humor.

Goodreads




CRACKED UP TO BE by Courtney Summers

One of the best protragonists I've ever come across--and a whole lot of snark and wonderful dialogue to go along.

My Review/ Goodreads



THE SKY IS EVERYWHERE by Jandy Nelson

Beautifully written, and heartbreaking, the poignancy of the book will stay with you long after you've read it.

My Review/ Goodreads



THE YEAR OF SECRET ASSIGNMENTS by Jacklyn Moriarty

Reading this book will be some of the best fun you've ever had--you'll laughing hysterically and be treated to a wonderful story at the same time.

My Review/ Goodreads



IF I STAY by Gayle Foreman

A bittersweet journey narrated in a nonlinear way, If I Stay will both capture your heart and break it too.

My Review/ Goodreads



HOLD STILL by Nina LaCour

The language throughout this book is what sets it apart--gorgeous sentence fragments in tune to the halting way the main character gets over the death of a loved one.

My Review/ Goodreads


I hope you'll at least try out one of these books on this list--they're truly some of my favorite YA books.

But are any of your favorite YA contempoary books on this list? Did I miss mentioning a book that was particularly earth-shattering?