3.09.2010

favorite books list (friday favorites) + important update/question




So do you guys remember friday favorites?

Probably not, since the last friday favorite book review I posted was in December. This is mostly because I'm intimidated (sometimes* I feel like I'm not doing a favorite book of mine justice). But whatever the reason, I've decided I MUST get back into it. The whole point of the feature on my blog was hopefully to get some of you guys reading some of my favorite, most treasured books that I've reread constantly over the years. Even if my reviews aren't up to par, posting a review is better than no review.

Since I recently compiled a must-read book recommendation list for a friend, I decided I'd post it here and then proceed to *attempt* to review every book on this list. I've already done some, yay!

links are to the book reviews I have done.

RCS= review coming soon

Also, I'm"retiring" extremely positive reviews that I've done since starting blogging and making a new label "new favorites" for favorites that are--well--new, and haven't stood the test of year(s) yet.

Here it goes:

***

YA literary:

  • The Book Thief by Markus Zusak: Okay, I reviewed this one and absolutely did NOT do it justice. I can't even express my love for this book coherently, and my review is noticeably devoid of the emotion I feel for this book. In any case, if there's a single ONE of you out there who hasn't read it, I will go on a blogging strike in protest until everyone has. It's just that amazing.**
  • Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta: RCS
  • Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson: This book really grew on me. I liked it the first time I read it (and wrote my review shortly after) and now I LOVE it. So the review has a lot more of a cooler reaction than I really feel. I think I may have to revise and repost it and make it into a NF.
  • Looking for Alaska by John Green: RCS


YA contemporary:




Children's fantasy:

  • Chrestomanci series (particularly Charmed Life) by Diana Wynne Jones: RCS
  • Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones***: another one of my reviews that doesn't give this book justice. I love it so much that it hurts. Really. I sort of worship DWJ. I've run out of compliments, so don't be surprised if a lot of her books turn up on friday favorites.
  • The Magic Thief by Sarah Prineas: RCS
  • Erec Rex: Dragon's Eye by Kaza Kingsley: RCS
  • The Windsinger Trilogy by William Nicholson: RCS
-I may do reviews on The Lightning Thief, The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles, The Bartimaeus Trilogy, Children of the Lamp, etc if I feel up to it.

YA Fantasy:

  • Sabriel by Garth Nix: RCS
  • Seventh Tower series by Garth Nix: RCS
  • Wild Magic (The Immortals Quartet) by Tamora Pierce: RCS
  • The Darkangel Trilogy by Meredith Ann Pierce: RCS
  • Graceling by Kristin Cashore: RCS
  • Flora Segunda by Ysabeau S. Wilce: RCS
  • The Squire's Tales series by Gerald Morris: RCS
-refraining from HP because I doubt anyone needs a review on that awesomeness :)****

Adult Literature:

  • The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald: RCS
  • Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov: RCS
  • The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison: RCS
  • The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood: RCS
  • Atonement by Ian McEwan: RCS
  • Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathon Foer: RCS


Assorted Other favorites:

  • Enders Game by Orson Scott Card: RCS
-refraining from Hunger Games because I don't think anyone needs a review on it, haha.

-I may do short mini reviews of a few really old child favorites (Francess Burnett, Roald Dahl, Edward Eager, etc).


Also, tune in on Thursday--I'll be posting a new meme****** then, hosted by yours truly!

But getting back on topic (this is a really patchwork post) do we have any favorites in common? I <3 style="font-size:78%;">*heh. More like all the times.

** AMAZINGAMAZINGAMAZING! If I could force everyone in the whole WORLD to read it I would.

***Lemme guess. You've never heard of Diana Wynne Jones? BLASPHEMY! I love DWJ with all my reading heart and it breaks my heart into little pieces when I hear that most of you have never read any books by her. GO FULFILL YOUR LIFE IMMEDIATELY! (start with Howl's).

**** I <3>Odd.

****** Well, I'm already overusing the footnotes. So. *hint hint* it has something to do with beauty :)

14 comments:

Steph Su said...

I think Meg (choco) would work fine. I know a number of bloggers who go by nicknames, and while it's a little weird when I have to address them in person or in email, I still can't think of them any other way. I still think of you as "choco," lol

Anonymous said...

I agree with Steph! I go by a nickname myself! but most people say Kailia and not my real name!

in which a girl reads said...

@Steph: I'm leaning towards changing it to Meg (choco). And I feel weird signing things -choco in emails, haha :) It's part of the reason I've been going by Meg on both email and twitter.

@Kailia: Ooh, really? I thought Kailia was your real name :)

Liam said...

I like Meg(choco). And I, too, worship DWJ. Yay for gree slime!

in which a girl reads said...

@Liam: YAYAYAYAY! :D Woot for DWJ fans :)

Emilia Plater said...

I always type Meg when I'm talking to you but then re-type it because I got the feeling you liked Choco better. haha. But it sounds like you'd like to switch now, so do it! :D ILY either way.

Unknown said...

I feel insanely proud that I know how DWJ is AND I read one of her books. Do I get a gold star? ;)

And I like Meg (choco), but whatever works for you. Like Steph said, I can't think of people who have nicknames anything but their nicknames. It's like, "Hi (insert nickname)! Oh wait, I mean (still insert nickname). NO, I'll get it this time I SWEAR, (still insert nickname). Oh (insert swear word)!"

And P.S.
You're footnotes are hilarious. I think the possibility of hell freezing over fifteen times would be more likely that you NOT having footnotes*

*I have no idea if that was an insult or a compliment xD

Amy said...

YAY DWJ fan! We have a lot of favourite books in common! Have you read any other Tamora Pierce besides the Alanna & Immortals books? I love every series she's written :)
And DWJ- I love the Chrestomanci and Howl series! Every single one of those books are beloved beloved beloved- I wish she'd write another Chrestomanci book :(

And for childrens books, I love the Bartimaeus trilogy to death! And I hear Jonathan Stroud is writing a prequel as we speak- about Bartimaeus in the ancient days, I believe. I'm very excited for it!! I loved Children of the Lamp and Percy Jackson a great deal as well. The Wind Singer is on my TBR list!

The Book Thief was the most breathtakingly beautiful and tear-jerking book I've ever read. Absolute pure bloody genius...!
Have you read the other books in Jaclyn Moriarty's Ashbury-Brookfield series? They're all wonderful feel-good contemporaries. And I can't wait for the fourth one that's out in June!
Darkangel & Alaizabel Cray are high on my TBR pile; I really can't wait to read them. Hope to see your reviews soon!

I could go on rambling all day about every book- so many are coincidentally my favourites as well! But I won't because this is long enough as it is. I just get really excited when there are people who have the same favourites as me! =)

One last thing- have you read the Queen's Thief books by Megan Whalen Turner (The Thief, The Queen of Attolia, The King of Attolia)? They are some ingenious books filled with twists I didn't see coming, suspense, political espionage, court intrigue, humor, and irresistable characters. Ok I'm done now. Really. 8)

Sandy said...

I know who DWJ is too! I've read Howl's AND one of the Chrestomanci books. Do I get a cookie for being a good reader? :D

I always did wonder what your actual name was, lol! But I never minded calling you Choco. I LIKE that nickname. I agree with Steph Su: Meg (choco)would be fine. Just so you don't confuse any new bloggers that come across your site. But I'm still calling you choco.... :)

AnAddictedBookReader said...

I started reading Howl's Moving Castle but I didn't get to finish it. I keep meaning to listen to the audiobook. I love the animated Studio Ghibli movie, so that's why I wanted to read it!

Allison said...

Hi there! Just wanted to let you know that I gave you an award on my blog at
http://luv-books.blogspot.com/2010/03/my-first-award.html
~Allison
http://the-winfields-7.blogspot.com
http://luv-books.blogspot.com

yuan said...

lol *chimes in with the DWJ love* I like her Howl series best. ♥
And OMG FRANCES HARDINGE. So much love. I want a FBN sequel so bad. *_*
Honestly, I don't think using a nickname is 'unprofessional'. I mean, it's a way of protecting your privacy if you don't want your Real Time identity to cross over with your Online identity. But of course, if you want to be called by Meg instead of choco I will be sure to do so in the future. =D

in which a girl reads said...

@Emilia: Really? Haha. It's up to you if you want to call me choco or Meg, haha :)

@Catt: YOU DEFINITELY get a gold star. And yay, I'm glad that you like the footnotes. I'm sort of a footnote addict :)

@Amy: DWJ FAN! AND TAMORA PIERCE FAN!! YAYAYAYAYAY! I love the Chrestomanci series the most (especially Charmed life) but I always recommend people to start with Howl's because of the movie :) And I have read all of Tamora Pierce's books but I like the Alanna and the Daine books the best out of them.

I would probably burst into tears of happiness if she wrote a new Chrestomanci book! Hehe.

I <3 Bartimaeus--such a great voice and a fellow foot-noter. I'm supah excited about the prequel too! DEFINITELY read The Wind singer, I'm sure you'll love it.

AND OMGOMGOMGOMGOMOGMOMGOMOGMOG THE BOOK THIEF. I LOVE IT SO MUCH it's like exclamation points in my head whenever someone mentions that book. *is a crazy fangirl*

I need to read the rest of Moriarty's books, since The Year was so awesome.

And I'm super excited as well, haha. I LOVE it when I share fave books with someone :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I haven't yet read Queen's Thief books, but with such a strong recommendation I'll definitely keep and eye out for them!

@Sandy: *showers with cookies* Knowing who DWJ makes me love you even more :)

Hehe, choco just makes me think of chocolate which leads to happy feelings. lol.

@Addicted: Aww, I'm sorry you didn't finish. Maybe try again? I <3 that book.

@Allison: THANKS!

@Ah Yuan: DID YOU HEAR SHE'S WRITING A FBN SEQUEL?!?!?!?! *dies from excitement*

And I LOVE Howl so much :)

And it's up to what you want to call me--I don't care either way :)

Lisa Richards/alterlisa said...

I've done exactly the same thing and to remedy this have started using a combination of the two
thus Lisa Richards/alterlisa. Like you my blog was originally intended as an outlet to have all my reviews in one place rather than spread throughout the universe(internet).
http://lisaslovesbooksofcourse.blogspot.com/

Post a Comment