3.03.2010

cover alert: like mandarin

Kirsten Hubbard recently unveiled the cover of debut novel, Like Mandarin. Here it is:



Synopsis:

It's hard to find beauty in the badlands of Washokey, Wyoming. Fourteen-year-old Grace Carpenter knows it's not her mother's pageant obsessions, or the cowboy dances and pickup trucks adored by her small-town classmates. True beauty is wild girl Mandarin Ramey: seventeen, shameless and utterly carefree.

Grace would give ANYTHING to be like Mandarin.

When the misfits are united for a project, they embark on an unlikely, explosive friendship, packed with nights spent skinny-dipping in the canal, liberating the town's animal-head trophies, and constantly searching for someplace magic. Grace even plays along when Mandarin suggests they make a pact to run away together. Blame it on the crazy-making wildwinds that plague their badlands town.

But all too soon, Grace discovers Mandarin's unique beauty hides a girl who's troubled, broken and even dangerous. And no matter how hard Grace fights to keep the magic, even the best friendships can't withstand betrayal.


My thoughts: The cover is simple, but I think it just makes it all the more beautiful. The white part really stands out, and it just looks so clean and appealing. Besides having a brilliant premise, Like Mandarin will look so pretty on a bookshelf, don't you think?

Release Date: March 2011

Author Website: http://www.kirstenhubbard.com

Goodreads: Like Mandarin

11 comments:

Liam said...

Pretty. Too bad it's not released for a year.

YA Book Queen said...

It would look pretty nice on a shelf! I have to agree with Liam, it's a bit of a bummer that it comes out in a year.

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Thanks for another great review. But it's not nice to make us want it when we have to wait so long to read it, ya know. :-)

in which a girl reads said...

lol you guys. I'm suffering having to wait too :) But, it's sososo lovely, I couldn't not post it!

Vee said...

I've wanted to read this book ever since I caught sight of its original query on AW in some thread a while back. The premise sounds amazing, but I think I want to read more for the voice and the fact that the characters seem so well-drawn in just a little blurb. It's a shame I have to wait a year!

Also, I love this cover SO much. It's so simple-pretty-awesome :D

Bidisha said...

You said it, it's simplistically appealing!

Tales of Whimsy said...

Intriguing. Not sure I'm sold yet but it definitely sounds interesting.

Kirsten Hubbard said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kirsten Hubbard said...

thanks so much choco, and to the rest of you :) I wish we didn't have to wait a year, too! I'll have my ARCs in a few months, though, and I hope to order extras for giveaways & my favorite book bloggers *wink, wink*

Lauren said...

I love the sound of this, and the cover is beautiful too. Thanks for letting us know about it.

in which a girl reads said...

Yay everyone :)

@Kirsten Hubbard: Thanks for stopping by!

And:

*grin* :D

Post a Comment