3.18.2010

captivating thursday (2)

Captivating Thursday is a meme hosted by me that showcases beautiful things--whether it be photos, quotes, poetry, music, videos, or anything else that I happen upon.




"She looked up at him and her face was pale and austere in the uplight and her eyes lost in their darkly shadowed hollows save only for the glint of them and he could see her throat move in the light and he saw in her face and in her figure something he'd not seen before and the name of that thing was sorrow."

— Cormac McCarthy, All the Pretty Horses



"I think we ought to live happily ever after."

— Diana Wynne Jones, Howl's Moving Castle





"Sunk in the grass of an empty lot on a spring Saturday, I split the stems of milkweed and thought about ants and peach pits and death and where the world went when I closed my eyes."

— Toni Morrison, The Bluest Eye


"When you're young, you think everything you do is disposable. You move from now to now, crumpling time up in your hands, tossing it away. You're your own speeding car. You think you can get rid of things, and people too - leave them behind. You don't yet know about the habit they have, of coming back.

Time in dreams is frozen. You can never get away from where you've been."

-Margaret Atwood, The Blind Assassin.


"People observe the colors of a day only at its beginnings and ends, but to me it's quite clear that a day merges through a multitude of shades and intonations with each passing moment. A single hour can consist of thousands of different colors. Waxy yellows, cloud-spot blues. Murky darkness."

--Markus Zusak, The Book Thief




The Garden by Ezra Pound (courtesy of famouspoetsandpoems.com)


Like a skien of loose silk blown against a wall
She walks by the railing of a path in Kensington Gardens,
And she is dying piece-meal
of a sort of emotional anaemia.

And round about there is a rabble
Of the filthy, sturdy, unkillable infants of the very poor.
They shall inherit the earth.

In her is the end of breeding.
Her boredom is exquisite and excessive.
She would like some one to speak to her,
And is almost afraid that I
will commit that indiscretion.





Are you participating in Captivating Thursday? Link here :)

15 comments:

Tales of Whimsy said...

Gorgeous images :)

Unknown said...

Amazing images!!! You have given me huge amounts of inspiration! The girl laying in the flowers is my character to the tee!!!

RaĆ­la said...

WHAT A BEAUTIFUL QUOTE FROM THE BOOK THIEF! Loved it... I haven't even paid attention on this! How could I?

Liam said...

Amazing...the best part is that I have music playing and I'm writing right now, so this is great.

And I love the Diana Wynne Jones quote.

Kirsten said...

Love this, Choco! The picture of the meadow and the girl in the plaid shirt IS from my WIP :)

Monster of Books said...

Beautiful photography. Absolutely Gorgeous!!

Remilda Graystone said...

The words under the first picture gave me goosebumps. I wish I could write like that. And I just adore the second image. It's gorgeous. Wish I could do that, except I can't ride a bike.

Karla Calalang said...

Great post! I love the pics and the short excerpts/poem. The vid was cute, too!

Allie said...

So many beautiful quotes!

Becca Cooper said...

"I think we ought to live happily ever after." <-- LOVE

And "...thought about ants and peach pits and death and where the world went when I closed my eyes." <-- LOVEEE

And the picture of those people jumping off that staircase <-- LOOOVEE

AND! I must get back to reading The Book Thief.

Great post!! <33

Tahereh said...

HOW DO YOU FIND THESE THINGS???

sigh.

so beautiful.

Jenn (Books At Midnight) said...

Ohh, the first and second to last pictures are gorgeous. *o*

I also ADORE Howl's Moving Castle, and the quote from All the Pretty Horses is beautiful = probably why I should read more "serious" literature, eep! Thanks for another beautiful post. :D

Bethany said...

Wow! Captivating Thursdays are really great! I'm loving this!

Looking forward to more!

Amna said...

Oh meg.

How I love your blog and you.

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog said...

Beautiful post! Love this meme!

Post a Comment