8.15.2010

comfort books

Sometimes I just want to curl up with a good book for a whole day and let my brain turn to goo as I immerse myself in a story.

I think it's the hecticness of everyday life that allows for purely escapist books--books designed only to entertain and to let the reader just be transported to an entirely different world for a while. I mean, it's not everyday that someone can go and read War & Peace--it takes a particular frame of mind to read a classic.

On the other hand--there are those beloved, dogeared books that I can sink into at any time, and at any moment, and I'm guaranteed to enjoy myself.

Somehow, I always turn to middle grade fantasy--it's so light and carefree and there's always hope in between the pages--a happy ending--and there's just this whimsical take on life that I adore.

My ultimate comfort book is Charmed Life; my comfort author--Diana Wynne Jones. I can't tell you how many times I've read her books and just let everything sink away--it's a good distraction from worrying about homework due the next day and friends and everything in between.

Her books are like chocolate--they make you feel better and they're delicious and you're always yearning for them, even when you don't know you're yearning.

As a matter of fact, comfort books = chocolate literature.

What types are books are your comfort reads? Any particular book/author? (Not gonna lie, I need some more comfort books to dive into.)